Monday 28 July 2014

Book Review: The Circle by Dave Eggers



Bonjour tout le monde!

I hope you are all doing well (if you do actually exist and have decided to stop by my blog)! I just finished reading The Circle, and if I had to describe this novel in two words I would say that it's a disturbing eye-opener (I guess that's three words...kind of). It's really funny how I stumbled across this novel right after I started to move away from social media. If you want to read about why I'm trying to move away from social media then click here. Anyway, I believe that social media takes away from living. What do I mean when I say this? I believe that as humans we are becoming so engulfed with social media that we are missing out on life outside of social media. I don't think social media is bad, there have definitely been a lot of benefits. However, I took the time to view my life and the role social media plays in it, and I realized that I was uncomfortable with the lack of privacy. Yes I know you can make your profiles private and that you can choose who has access to your information, but why are most of us giving access to hundreds of people who we no longer have any interactions with. My classmates from when I was eight, who I no longer talk to or have any form of relationship with, can still know everything going on in my life. Some people may say that this is the beauty of social media, the fact that we can always stay connected with everyone we meet forever and ever and ever and ever... I beg to differ, and The Circle demonstrates why social media can turn into a very scary, very intrusive, very destructive tool.
Okay I am going to stop blabbing, and get to the actual book review. I would give the book a 3.8 out of 5. It was very well written and relatively easy to follow. The story-line was very unique, and I had no idea which way the book was going (this is what kept me turning those pages)! It took me a while to become fully immersed in the book, but once immersed I found it hard to stop reading it at the end of the work day (yes this is what I do at work for the most part). 
Lastly, it is a dystopian novel. So, if you love reading books like The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Giver, and Brave New World then you will enjoy reading this book. Althought, I think this book may be intended for a more mature audience than the novels I just mentioned. 

Here are links to summaries of the novel since apparently I'm too lazy to write my own: 

2 comments:

  1. My sentiments well said!!
    I watched some documentary this past weekend, and it scares me how much privacy we lack. Not just through social media, but just the general access to net comes with so much intrusion of our privacy. I'll try send you a link to the same.
    P.S I'm loving your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please send me the link! It is really scary how easy it for strangers to just know so much about you without ever meeting you! And thank you so much :) Salimia the family!

      Delete